Developer: Giant Squid
Publisher: 505 Games
ABZÛ is a breathtakingly beautiful underwater walking simulator with a focus on exploration, and an amazing atmosphere.
You are a diver set out to explore and restore life to the reefs. The story is told visually, but the plot is vague. I still liked it, but it seems like some things are left open to interpretation.
There isn’t a whole lot to say about the gameplay since the core of it is swimming around, admiring your surroundings, and exploring before moving onwards. There are some tasks you need to perform to open up the passage to the next area, but it’s all very straightforward. Between some of the different calm and open areas, there are these jet streams that move you quickly along with the current.
You’ll want to take your time to explore all you can to find new pools of marine life, and other collectibles. You can also grab onto the larger fish, and turtles, take them for a ride,and steer them. It’s really neat that you have this friendly interaction as you explore. You can also meditate at special meditation statues that let you get up close views of the different fish as they swim around in the area. It’s actually a bit informative too because it tells you the names of the fish you’re looking at as well.
- it’s an astonishingly beautiful game; everything from the marine life to the reefs, and underwater ruins look fantastic – the way the aquatic life moves and flows underwater, and how some fish try to eat other fish, it feels so lifelike
- the entire soundtrack is spectacular, and the underwater sound effects are great; at times it’s so calming, and soothing while you are exploring, but then it’s upbeat, and exciting while riding the jet streams
- great pacing throughout the game with the use of jet streams between the larger areas
- it’s a truly stunning and immersive atmosphere throughout the game’s entirety
- (nitpick) very short game without much in the way of replay value (it took me 2 hours to complete, and I thought I had explored thoroughly, but apparently I still missed some collectibles)
- (nitpick) keybindings for mouse and keyboard are not customizable
Playing ABZÛ using a controller is strongly recommended. However, you can play with keyboard and mouse without too much difficulty, but it will likely take some time to get used to the movement.
ABZÛ is an incredibly gorgeous, and soothing game. If you’ve had a long day, and you just want to sit back, relax, and unwind, I highly recommend giving ABZÛ a go. It’s an excellent underwater walking simulator with a remarkable atmosphere. It is an incredibly short game though, so I do suggest waiting for a sale price.
This game was a Steam gift from one of my subscribers.